Okay folks, buckle up for one more round of the AD HOME DESIGN SHOW…which was in NYC two weeks ago and this time bigger and better than ever! You just can’t miss this event if you are an interior designer in New York City. Even if you think you have seen it all, you just
It isn’t a fast show to walk around. One reason is that you are just so tempted to stop and look at everything…time permitting, of course. The other is that you run into everyone you know and you just have to stop and shmooze and be social. Actually re-friending old acquaintances is a lot of fun at these events. It is also a great opportunity to chew the fat with the reps from all of the companies at the show. They are super eager to impress you with their products and how they have improved this year and why you should spec them for your clients.
I hope I don’t sound too jaded because you can get that way after you have attended too many of these trade shows. The great thing about this one is that not only does it have the big guys/companies here but they also have a section called “MADE,” which is composed of young/not so young but definitely talented artisans, that are displaying fresh and new design ideas. This actually is my favorite place to stroll, as I always unearth some fabu new talent that I just must include in my interior design repertoire.
So, my friends, here is a list of what I found this year that raised a soft hurrah from this professional designer as being fresh and new for the design world. You should most definitely put all of these on your dezign-radar for any future projects:
1. MIELE now has ovens with soft chocolate brown glass fronts…very wonderful! Finally you can choose a different color besides white or black and stainless steel. AND I am super in love with chocolate brown for interiors.
2. SMEG makes many more kitchen appliances than those adorable refrigerators in rainbow colors…something I didn’t know. And they have some unusually sizes which is perfect for greater options when you are designing your kitchen. They also are coming out this summer with the most precious toaster and I just must have one! The design is perfect and let’s not forget those outrageous colorful glossy metal finishes.
3. MILANO SMART LIVING makes the most beautiful Murphy Bed unit I’ve seen to date. Plus, you just have to investigate their sofa beds…which come in tons of different styles. They totally simplify the whole process of converting your sofa into a bed with clever Italian design that blows my mind away. The Italians most definitely have a thing about beds and sleeping (see post.)
4. MAX CHAIRS which are designed by Max Terpinyan are simply divine. They have a chic modern aesthetic and are definitely comfortable…I tried them out! AND I could tell that Terpinyan was a real artisan, totally devoted to his craft. Although the chairs were shown in leather, I think they would be stunners done up in mohair, one of my favorite fabrics.
5. SCANOMAT has come out with a product called TopBrewer and it is simply amazing. With only one faucet and drain installed in your counter…and, of course, a whole bunch of behind the scenes equipment stored under the cabinet…you can now serve everything from filtered carbonated water to foam-a-licious cappuccinos! It is a total beverage system all control by an iPad…yes, folks an iPad. It also comes with a coffee grinder and an ice storage unit. Straight out of Denmark, this is definitely the wave of the future. Move over Keurig and Soda Stream!
6. wüD FURNITURE has some fabulous furniture incorporating their innovative material called Pb-R. This is a brand new material they produce which entails totally covering a metal surface with a clear epoxy resin. The look is marvelous…my favorite was over zinc…and this makes the surface totally resilient to heat, scratches and stains. AND the designs of the furniture are really chic and wonderful. AND (again) they can customize anything, a big plus in my dezign book.
7. NAULA had my favorite sofa design at the show. Just the right mixture of contemporary and sophistication. I’ve got big plans for this baby in future projects! You can always count on Naula to introduce some chic new furnishings at this show (see post.)
8. VOUTSA makes highly original hand made wallpapers that will knock your socks off. We are once again not in your proverbial grandmother’s wallpaper category. These are artistic interpretations of unusual and beautifully executed subject matters that just ring of the talented designer (George Vensen) behind the scenes. I love their vividness and colorful presentation and I am sure they would add drama to the interiors of many a room.
9. FORBES & LOMAX If you want to know the wave of the future when it comes to light switches and wall plates than you best check out Forbes & Lomax. This company out of England has the sleekest look for this quite necessary but often eyesore looking item. Once you upgrade your point of view of how important it is that you select good looking electrical plates and switches you will never return down that road of it’s no big deal. It’s the ultimate example of small things do make a difference!
10. DELIGHTFULL UNIQUE LAMPS Mid Century Modern is the rage today and this company out of Portugal makes some of the most gorgeous lights that take their inspiration from that period. They also have some really fabulous original designs with touches of gold and silver that are stunning and would work in any contemporary home. I have seen there lights before but I still think they rank #1 as far as originality and freshness goes. Lighting is another one of my passions in design and ranks up there in “it makes a difference” category when you are designing your interiors.
Well, as they say in the cartoons, “That’s All Folks!”
Ciao, ciao ’til next time!